Breaking News: Faith-based groups challenge anti-immigration orders in two court cases

This morning, twenty seven (27) faith-based groups filed suit in federal court challenging the latest anti-immigration orders.

Read the Legal Filing here.

Faith-based groups challenge Trump orders in two court cases

WASHINGTON (RNS) — More than two dozen faith groups are challenging an effective freeze on the federal refugee resettlement program and defending a rule preventing immigration law enforcement agencies from raiding houses of worship and other sensitive locations.

“Unannounced raids into our sanctuaries and other church spaces presents very real danger to both our members and our communities, most of whom are black and brown people,” said Bishop W. Darin Moore of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in a statement about the suit.

More than two dozen Christian and Jewish denominations and associations sue to protect religious freedoms

“As Jewish leaders, we are mindful of our history as an immigrant people. For most of our history, we have moved from one land to another—because we were exiled or persecuted, or for a better future for our children. Jews in the United States came as immigrants and so we have always supported and welcomed immigrants. The most often repeated command in the Torah is to care for the stranger because we were strangers in the land of Egypt – in this way our scripture and history compels us to work with and help immigrants and refugees.” – Rabbi Hara Person, The Central Conference of American Rabbis

Episcopal Church joins religious freedom lawsuit challenging ICE enforcement actions in churches

Referring to this lawsuit, Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Sean Rowe said that in God’s kingdom, immigrants and refugees are not at the edges, fearful and alone, but are the very center of God’s story.  

“We believe their struggles reveal the heart of God, and we cannot worship freely if some among us live in fear,” he said. “We are seeking the ability to fully gather and follow Jesus’ command to love our neighbors as ourselves.”

MC USA joins more than two dozen Christian and Jewish denominations and associations sue to protect religious freedoms

“The extreme actions of our government call us to step up as we recognize that our practice of loving our neighbor outweighs our traditional stance of non-resistance. Today, we stand together as followers of Jesus, shaped by his life and teachings as revealed in scripture, honoring the cloud of witnesses that stood before us against state interference in the right of religious freedom during the Radical Reformation.” said, Rev. Iris de León-Hartshorn, associate executive director of Operations for Mennonite Church USA.

A Press Call has been announced for today, Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2025, at 1 p.m. (Eastern time) by the group of denominations and associations. RSVP for additional details. The virtual online press conference will feature the following religious leaders:

  • Rev. Iris de León-Hartshorn, Mennonite Church USA

  • Presiding Bishop Sean Rowe, The Episcopal Church

  • Rabbi Rick Jacobs, Union for Reform Judaism

  • Rev. Carlos Malave, President, Latino Christian National Network

  • Kelsi Corkran, ICAP Supreme Court Director and lead counsel for Plaintiffs

Previous
Previous

This week in people of faith speaking truth to power

Next
Next

What did people of faith have to say about immigration last week?